On looking good and being with a man.


It's a bit of a rant here...
A couple of weeks ago I went to see my sister's belly dancing exhibition. An old friend of mine drove me there, a guy I have known for at least 15 years. We hadn't seen each other for some months, and he complimented me on the way I looked.
While talking during our trip, he made clear that he thought I was looking so good and happy because I was in a satisfying relationship.
He is not the first one making this comment. Actually, he is the last of a long series.

Now, my question is: why do people attribute my looking happy to having a man?
I have to confess: there is a man in my life I literally adore. He is kind, considerate, has the nicest thoughts for me, and I'd do anything to see him happy.

But he is not the only reason I look happy.
I have a job which is sometimes very tiring, but which I love. I like my colleagues. I do lots of fun stuff when I am not with the man: go out with my sister, trips with friends, art exhibitions and concerts. Plus, I love being alone, when I can cook read take pictures write lists or take care of my blog. What has a man to do with all that?

May be there is this concept of a woman being happy only when a man is beside her. But I think one should be happy with herself, and the rest will come!

I put a picture of Love is... just because those two are so cute!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't agree more. There is of course important to have a love life, but if somenone can't find his or her soul-mate is better to stay alone and happy then be in the relationship just because of the fact that love life is a must. I also strongly believe, that you must find and love yourself first, if you want to find the right person for you.
Hug, Tatjana
Anonymous said…
My mother insists that I am happy due to my boyfriend. I insist we would not be together if I were not happy and in a place to date. It always makes me sad because I feel it demeans my work, my hobbies, my friends, etc. all the things I've spent years building up for myself. But she is older and from a generation where love 'completes' you. Seems limited if you ask me.

Alexandra

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday links

Taking Stock

BDIB - Arm Party!