Saturday, August 22, 2009
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
I am pretty happy about how the year has been/is going, but something she wrote really hit me:
What do you do with your spare time? Are you constantly playing catch-up & running errands with no time to relax & just do nothing? Is there a class you want to take? When was the last time you took a holiday? Are you in control of your free time or is someone else?
"Constantly playing catch up" is something I feel is happening way too often. Especially on weekends.
I am home very few hours during the week, so I feel I should do the most out of my weekends. It usually doesn't happen, and it's all my fault. Whether I spend too much time on meaningless activities - time I could use reading, cooking, talking to bf, getting my hands on some creative projects- or I do things I don't necessarily feel like doing, out of guilt -like going to mom's every. single. sunday (very tiring for me as I have to drive about one hour each way, sometimes in the traffic, and by the time I get home the day is gone. I know if I skip every other sun she will be able to survive anyway, and I should probably care just a teensy bit less about what she says and focus on how well and rested I have felt when I have skipped a sunday for some reason) - often it is sunday night and I am more tired than I was on fri, even though I have accomplished nothing! This is definitely NOT being in control of my time!
Also, she says:
How does your body feel? How healthy are you? What are you eating? Do you exercise? Are you drinking or smoking more than you’d like? Do you need a spa day? What positive steps can you take towards a lifestyle you feel happier about?
Monday, August 10, 2009
After they were done, I approached them to ask what was one piece I hadn't recognized. Assuming they were italian, I said - Bravi!- and proceeded to my question. And they asked me if I could speak english.
We talked a bit in english (the misterious pièce was one of Brahms' dances) and we said goodbye to each other. But they weren't from an english-speaking country, they were speaking to each other in some eastern european language, I am not able to recognize which one.
Some thoughts sprung to my mind:
Firstly, they found a genious way to self-sustain during their vacation (they got lots of money from people who were listening)
Second, it is really wonderful to be able to communicate in the same language, even though we come from very different countries. Italian and their language have nothing in common. But we understood what we were talking about because we both could speak english. This is not a given as it could seem. It is just great!
Finally, music is really an universal language. People who stopped to listen to them were from everywhere, and they all appreciated what they were playing. Brahms is Brahms, and is beautiful, whether you are from Brasil or from France. I am not talking only about classical music: any kind of music is "unifying" in my opinion: it trapasses the difference in language and nation. And this, again, is great.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
- I have two more days left of work. I am tired. The only thought that gets me out of bed in the morning is I have only few days left before vacation... Gotta do lots of new stuff, and boss is on vacation. Can do this, can do this...
- I am seriously thinking about quitting my job and take up scientific translations as a free-lance. The best part about this job would be I won't need to move from home...
- I am a bit concerned about how I am gonna pack for vacation. We are going to be there for 5 days, but we are going by motorcycle, so we have a backpack and a smallish bag for both of us. Talk about minimalism...
- But on the other side can't wait to go!
- I am in a serious need for a shopping ban... I have way too many clothes/shoes (never too many bags) - and I can't take them with me on vacation!
- The picture above refers to one of my new favourite foods. Piadina with bresaola and arugola. I use goat cheese too. Nice summer dinner!